PART 2-- Alisa(Zitong) Han-- The Character Analysis Connects the American Dream

        The Character Analysis Connects the American Dream

            Alisa's   Blog !!!!!!!!!

      Hi, class! Do you remember what I said about the American dream? Today I'm going to connect it with The Great Gatsby. I think Tom is the most memorable person for me. Let's see what kind of person Tom is in The Great Gatsby.👇👇👇👇👇
         Tom is an Old Money who has a high status in the society.💰💰💰 He got married with Daisy, and they have a daughter👨‍👩‍👧. However, he cheated on Daisy because he has a mistress. The common thing between his mistresses is that they are both the poor. Tom is a self-absorbed person and believes in basic inequalities of people based on birth. He looks down on the poor, even the New Money.

      As I mentioned in the Part 1, I think the American Dream shows that everyone wants to have a good family and be 😃 😀 😄, but only few of rich people can achieve that. The rich people believe that the status is based on birth. In that case, I think the American Dream is always not equal to everyone. At the same time, Tom’s American Dream is having a good family and also has a mistress. He wants to maintain his status and satisfies his own desires by achieving his American Dream.

     Tom wants to maintain his status and satisfy his own desires by achieving his American Dream. Tom has lots of money and a high status in the society so that he is extremely self- absorbed. He believes in basic inequalities of people based on birth, and even his mistresses are both the poor people. His mistress’s husband is a car repairman, Tom said that he would take care of his business, but in fact he looked down upon such the poor people and even cheated on the repairman's wife. "‘Daisy! Daisy! Daisy!’ shouted Mrs. Wilson. ‘I’ll say it whenever I want to! Daisy! Dai——’ Making a short deft movement Tom Buchanan broke her nose with his open hand. " (F. Scott Fitzgerald,  page 41)From this quotation, we can see that Tom doesn't love his mistress at all, he just wants to satisfy his own desire. Therefore, he often beats and scolds his mistress when his mistress was talking about his family, and Tom does not respect her because she is the poor person. I think the American Dream can only be achieved by the rich people just like Tom.


        I think Tom actually achieved his American Dream, because he has a good family and he has a mistress👩🏼‍🦱 at the same time. Tom's American Dream is maintaining his status and having a "good" family. He satisfies his desire and keeps his family together. Tom wants to maintain his perfect image in others' eyes so he keeps having mistresses. He looks down the poor so he found the poor women and let them became his mistresses, and he also beats his lover 🏥🏥🏥because he does not love her at all. In Tom’s mind, the poor can only serve him because they are born with low status.
     👉👉👉 I think Tom does not need to change himselfIn this society, most of people was corrupted, so they wanted to pursuit happiness and became richer. Tom wants to maintain his status and satisfy his own wants, so he has a mistress and keeps his family at the same timeHe is an Old Money and has a high status in the society. He gratifies his vanity by having a mistress and enjoys that. In that case, I think Tom does not need to change himself in this corrupted society because he already achieved his American Dream. 🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂

  👈👈👈The Great Gatsby connects with the McDonald’s commercial. They both show that people will feel happy when they have a good family and have more money. The McDonald shows that if you buy a hamburger and all day you will achieve your American Dream, but if you are a poor person and even cannot afford the food from McDonald, then you will not be so happy as the actors in the commercial. The Great Gatsby shows the rich people—Tom in the novel he can do whatever he wants, such as having a mistress and keeping his family at the same time, or having a high status in the society. The connection between them is that people wants to pursuit money and happiness.
                                                                               

Comments

  1. PART 3-- DARIUS' personal comment for Alisa

    Alisa, I don't like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P3--Darius (Dapeng) Zhao’s comment on Alisa’s P2.

    Don’t worry about the last comment Alisa, someone posing as me. Now I am the real Darius here!And Alisa, I don’t like your blog. Hahaha, just kidding. I really admire your blog because I exactly have a similar idea about the AmericanDream.

    I like your first paragraph because you successfully make it a blog or not just an analysis of the American Dream. Besides your opinion “I think Tom does not need to change himself” makes me surprised. This shows your unique insights, and in the analysis that follows, I see that you are really thinking about it comprehensively.

    To be honest, you really did a great job. But I think you will make it better by point out who will change or not explain why Tom should not change.

    To improve, I think you can put some picture about McDonald so that you can make readers visually know what is connected with your American Dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part 3 Lynn(Runlin) Dong
    Hi Alisa!
    Here is Lynn. To be honest, I have to say that I really enjoy reading your blog! Since my part 2 is about Daisy, I’d love to read an analysis about Tom to have a different view about what this couple really are. Here are my comments:
    A) Good Job:
    I really love your connection of the American Dream and McDonald’s ads. You gave a clear description of the ads, and I really appreciate your combination of the “happy time” in the ads and Tom’s luxury life. I think that it was a great idea to high light the key sentence with color purple at the end of this paragraph. By the way, I really enjoy the Morandi color such as light purple and light green you used in your blog. These decorations made the blog like a piece of art.
    B) Parts that weren’t successful:
    I think your definition of the American Dream sounds a little bit common. The inequity part of American Dream has been talked a lot in the past. Maybe you can be more creative and think of more interesting ideas.
    C) Parts to improve:
    In order to catch reader’s eyes, it will be good for you if you can create more personalized tone to display the article. What’s more, creating a more unique and creative idea about the American Dream can make your article more attractive as well. Over all, you really did a great
    job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Part 2 -- Eric (Hanxi) Zheng

Part 2 Lynn(Runlin) Dong